Midstate Independent Living Choices is offering summer classes for anyone with a disability; focusing on relationships and boundaries, and self-advocacy.
Each class meets once a week for 6 weeks. Classes are 90 minutes in length.
This 6-week course discusses how to be the best advocate for you. (You!)
Students will learn how self-advocacy is an important skill that people need to be successful and to get the tools and supports they need to thrive. Students will learn how to self-advocate and advocate for others.
Lessons in this course:
1. Disability History and Legislation
2. Self-Awareness and Self-Esteem
3. Communication Skills
4. The power of words and disability awareness
5. Self-Determination and Self-Advocacy in care plans
6. How to self-advocate for Personal, Local, State, and Nationwide legislation
TREES Teaching Relationships to Everybody in Everyday Situations
This 6-week course discusses appropriate and healthy boundaries wherever you are. School, work, home, and in the community.
Students will learn how to identify the various relationships they have with others while using the model of a tree and its parts. Understanding what is appropriate to share and with whom, how to set a boundary within a relationship whether it’s with family, friends, co-workers, acquaintances, service providers, peers, etc. Students will also learn how to enforce those boundaries in a healthy and respectful way.
Lessons in the course:
1. The Self
2. Family, Close Friends, Significant Others (Core Group)
4. Professionals and Distant Friends
5. Acquaintances and Strangers
6. Romance and Consent *This is not sexual education class, this talks about consent and saying no, where any form of intimacy between two consenting individuals is appropriate (From holding hands to kissing), who to talk to when boundaries are not respected, healthy and toxic relationships, problem solving and exit strategies.
Providers: Authorizations and Purchase orders are required before the start of each class. If you have questions regarding what to include, please contact Eric Riskus. The breakdown of each course is $75/class, $65 for early registration (see dates in the cost table).